Saturday, May 22, 2010

Today was the busiest day yet at the cafe. Which isn't saying much, but there was a mini "rush" of like 3-4 tables at the same time.

At one point, my boss (who had been making all of the non-salad food) stepped out to talk to customers. A few minutes later, an order came in for a Reuben. I'll pause here for any "woman, make me a sandwich" jokes. You done? Ok. So, I technically haven't been trained on the entrees yet, but I had watched him make Reubens a few times, so I decided to give it a shot. For the record, since most of our sandwiches are paninis, and because my boss is pretty particular about his sandwich assembly, this was a task greater than just throwing some corned beef on rye. Also, the order also contained a grilled chicken salad. In short, I managed to make the sandwich and the salad, and just as I was about to send the food out, my boss strolled into the kitchen to make the Reuben. I showed him mine, and he approved. Thus, I have completed a multi-part order all by myself! Woohoo!

Of course, the day had its downsides. I managed to cut myself in the finger (minor cut, no worries) at the busiest point of the morning. I threw on some guaze (because our first aid kit didn't have bandaids- good job guys) and a rubber glove and worked one-handed for awhile. Fun times. Then, at the end of the day, I was making a BLT, and when I was taking the bacon out of the oven, despite the fact I was using an oven mitt, I managed to burn a different finger. Lesson learned? Klutzes in the kitchen can be hazardous to themselves. PS, the reason the bacon is made in the oven instead of fried on the stovetop is because when you cook it in the oven, it seeps in its own juices and thus is more flavorful.

That's all for now. Tomorrow is our first Sunday Brunch, which is sure to be full of fun and excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment